Admins have the most actions available, including setting up a new user or deleting a user.
You can view your role and designation on your profile page. To open it, click your name in the top-right corner of any Appulate page. You can also select My Profile in the Setup menu.
Your user role determines the scope of actions available to you in Appulate. You can either be an Admin, a User, or a Viewer.
Admins have the most actions available. This mostly concerns various setup actions, including setting up a new user or deactivating a user. This also applies to company settings.
For example, an Admin's Setup menu contains the following options:
- Insurance Lines
- Email Templates
- My Profile
while a User's Setup menu contains Email Templates and My Profile. As a role with the most restrictions, a Viewer's Setup menu only contains the latter.
To change a User to an Admin, an Admin needs to:
- click Users in the Setup menu;
- click (Edit user) for the User to open their profile page;
- select Admin in the User role field's dropdown;
- click Save at the bottom of the profile page to apply the changes.
Note: You cannot change your own user role, even if you are an Admin. Another Admin has to do it for you. The Insured User role also cannot be changed.
To change a Viewer to a User:
- open this Viewer's profile page via the Users page;
- click Upgrade Role at the bottom of the page.
For more information, see Viewers.
Data isolation level
Admin users can set the Data isolation level in their company's Settings. Data isolation level determines data access within your company.
Company users with the User role can have the following data access levels within their location or within the company:
- Low: A company user can view and modify all the available insured, quote requests, and policies.
- Medium: A company user can view and modify the insured, quote requests, and policies to which they are assigned as a producer or CSR, and can view the others.
- High: A company user can view and modify only the insured, quote requests, and policies to which they are assigned as a producer or CSR.
Note: Company users with the Admin role are not affected by this setting: they can always view and modify all available entities.
As an Admin, you can also set the Interlocation isolation level. This is the level of data access security between the branches of your company.
Company users with the User role can have the following divisional access levels to the permitted by their Data isolation level insured, RFQs, and policies:
- Shared: A company user has access to all the permitted entities within the company.
- Isolated: A company user has access to the permitted entities belonging to the user’s location only. An entity is considered to belong to a location if any user from this location is assigned to this entity as a producer or CSR.
Your user designation is your responsibilities within your company. This affects your Appulate workflow.
Appulate has the following user designations:
- a Producer (applicable to agencies) runs quote requests and policies for the insured.
- an Underwriter (applicable to markets) evaluates the risk and exposures of the potential insured.
- a CSR (customer service representative) interacts with the insured on behalf of their agency or market.
All user roles can change their designation:
- Open your user profile by clicking your name in the top-right corner of any Appulate page. You can also select My Profile in the Setup menu.
- Select a designation in the User designation field's dropdown.
- Click Save at the bottom of the page.
Admins can change others' designations by accessing their profiles via the Users page.
Assigning an Underwriter or CSR
Agency (in some cases) and market users can assign an Underwriter or CSR.
- As an agency or MGA user, you can sometimes assign an Underwriter yourself.
Note: This applies if you're working with a market (but not a submarket) whose submission type for the current insurance line is not Appulate.
Since markets with the Appulate submission type use Appulate for their main workflow and get informed about each submission event, they assign the Underwriter and CSR by themselves.
The Contact column displays the market contact (typically the Underwriter) responsible for the quote request on the market's side. For non-Appulate markets, you can assign this contact by clicking Select.
You can also add a new contact by clicking:
- Add new contact in the Select dialog (this new contact will be marked as favorite);
- Add in the Contact column (if this market has no active users).
Once you submit a quote request, this assigned user will be automatically selected as the Underwriter or the CSR of this quote request on the market's Summary tab depending on this user's designation.
- As a market user, you can assign an Underwriter or CSR on the Summary tab.
Assigning a Producer or CSR
Agency and market users can assign a Producer or CSR.
- Agency users can assign a Producer or CSR on the Summary tab.
- In some cases, market users can assign a Producer or CSR on the main contact panel.
You can do this through assigning an agency. In Appulate, this is an agency that runs a quote request or policy. An agency will be an assigned agency when:
- this agency (MGA) creates a quote request or policy and submits it to a market;
- a market assigns a quote request or policy to this agency (MGA).
Once you've assigned the agency, click the Producer and CSR fields and select one from the list from this agency's users. You can also add a new user by clicking Add new if this agency allows markets to control its users.